Were you ever tempted to steal some pieces from your boyfriend’s closet? You should definitely think about it, menswear-inspired looks continue to be a huge focus in fashion. Embrace your inner tomboy and and mix in some boy elements to your outfit. An over-sized button-down shirt, a pair of loafers or a men’s watch are a perfect way to achieve that ‘cool girl’ look. Just throw on a pair of pointed pumps and a bold lip with any boyish piece and you’ll feel plenty girly, trust me.
New Year’s Eve is just around the corner. If you’re hosting a party, how about giving your guests some New Year’s cheer and a little sparkle for the new beginning? I found some easy and inexpensive last-minute ideas for your party to ring in the new year. All the best for 2015!
1. Surprise your guests and ring in the new year with colourful DIY confetti party poppers from Honestly Yum.
2. What about a sparkling prediction for the new year? Than try these edible glitter dipped fortune cookies from buzzfeed. Simply dip the fortune cookies in lemon juice and edible gold dust.
3. Still looking for some simple decorating ideas? Just put a few ‘bubbly’ balloons on the wall like Brit & Co did.
4. For the sparkle at midnight: Best Day Ever came up with these fun, graphical and FREE sparkler backers for you to print out and hand to your guests before midnight.
5. It’s all set for the new year with these gold fringe wrapped numbers – at least if you spell 2015! The Ruffle Blog shows you how to easily do it.
So you did have lots to eat and drink over the holidays? Then it’s time to move these christmas bellies! Why not combine it with some fun? So get your ice skates on and glide on one of the many ice rinks which pop-up in lots of cities around the world. Whether you’re looking for a little romance, some thrills with kids, or a kitschy night out with friends, you can find it on ice. Here are my favourite spots around the world.
1. London, Somerset House: The grand eighteenth-century courtyard at Somerset House is a truly stunning location for session on the ice this winter. If your ice skating skills aren‘t the best, have a sip of champagne or afternoon tea at the Fortnum & Mason lodge instead. You can also join one of the club nights.
2. New York, Central Park: Surely, the go-to destination for ice skating still is Rockefeller Centre or Bryant Park. But my pick in New York is Wollman Rink, which is more than three times the size of Rockefeller’s and has better views over a forest of skyscrapers and Central Park’s trees.
3. Paris, Le Grand Palais: The venue which Karl Lagerfeld turns into a runway for his Chanel shows from time to time turns into a magical ice rink during the winter. Watch the stars with beautiful music and light shows under the glass roof.
4. Amsterdam, the canals: For a very special experience go ice skating on the frozen canals in Amsterdam. Not exactly an ice rink, but you can easily skate through the city, the landscape changing instead of going round in circles (image).
5. Munich, Nymphenburg Castle: Even though it’s 20 minutes from the centre of Munich, the frozen lake and the canals of Nymphenburg Castle are one of the most beautiful settings for an ice skating afternoon. And it’s for free!
So you finished christmas shopping and got everybody the perfect gift? Now the fun and relaxing part of the holidays can begin. For me the joyful time starts with decorating the tree and wrapping gifts. I always opt for easy but creative gift wrapping ideas. This year I decided to wrap everything in simple kraft paper and be creative on the decoration. Need some inspiration? I’ve rounded up my favourite ideas for you!
1. I like to use simple kraft paper. It always looks clean and modern and you can easily change the look for any occasion.
2. My favourite this year: Drawing ribbons, stars or christmas ornaments directly onto the kraft paper. You just need a black, white, silver or gold pen, just make sure the pen you use doesn’t go through the paper.
3. Gift tags always add a little extra to any present. I found these free printable gift tags at a pair & a spare. Just go to the site and download them.
4. I spray-painted leaves in silver. You can also take nuts, fir cones or branches.
5. And last but not least: Christmas ornaments and matching ribbons alway do the trick.
I am a pumpkin fanatic. Except for soup, which I think is a bit boring, I enjoy the taste in every texture and combination possible. If you consider yourself a similar pumpkin fan, you’ll love pumpkin butter. It’s basically pumpkin pie in a jar, great on fresh bread or with yoghurt. The decadent treat also serves as a nice little gift – hello, last-minute christmas shoppers again – and it’s really easy to make. Enjoy!
- 1 pumpkin (butternut squash or hokaido)
- 3/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp whiskey (bourbon works best)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- a pinch of salt
1. Cut pumpkin in quarters, scoop out pumpkin seeds with a spoon and roast pumpkin in the oven on highest temperature for about 10 minutes, until soft. Now you can easily spoon out the soft pumpkin flesh. Use a fork to puree the flesh.
2. Mix together pumpkin puree, maple syrup, butter, whiskey and vanilla extract in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
3. Then add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt and stir. Stop cooking when the consistency is thick.
4. Let cool and store in jars in the refrigerator.
What to get our favourite girls this year? I have to say I like to give pretty little things instead of practical stuff. Some glamour never hurt nobody. Here are just a few pretty little ideas for urban girls and chic mums who are in the know and on the go:
1. Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Camera via Urban Outfitters
2. Codello cashmere scarf
3. ‘Gypset Living’ via Amazon
4. Tom Dixon scented candle
5. Love Luxury Travel Guide to Goa via ShopLatitude
6. Monogrammed mug from Anthropologie
7. Aesop Jet Set skin care kit via ShopLatitude
8. ANNA star rose gold ring
9. Coloured pencils brass holder from Personnel of New York
Image source: Pinterest
Wether it’s daddy or the boyfriend, the men in my life are very hard to shop for. They simply already have everything. So you won’t find anything practical or useful in my gift guide, but if you are looking for something special which even the man who already has everything might surprise, keep on reading. I’ve rounded up some gifts from leather bike grips to special Austrian whiskey.
1. Limited Single Malt Whiskey from Waldviertler via Zingero
2. ‘I am Dandy’ via Amazon
3. Laguiole steak knife set via Bath Bed & Beyond
4. The Mason Shaker via Zingero
5. Brooks leather and metal bike grips via MrPorter
6. Baxter of California skin care set via MrPorter
7. Metal bocce ball set via Hayneedle
8. Leather briefcase via Zingero
9. Wool bell jar lamp via Toms
Image source: Brooke Holm Photography
As a food addict I love fall with all its tasty treats. I enjoy savoury and hearty dishes that make me feel warm and comfy. Yes, goodbye bikini body, I’ll see you on my New Year’s resolutions list. This time I opted for the classic autumnal flavour combination apple and cinnamon and turned them into apple fritter rings, actually a traditional Bavarian dessert. My grandma made them for us the same way with apples from our backyard. I gave them a modern twist with salted caramel sauce, but vanilla ice cream is also an all-time favourite with apple fritter rings. Enjoy!
You’ll need (serves 4):
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- a pinch of salt salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 4 large apples
- vegetable oil for frying
Find the recipe for salted caramel sauce here.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar and salt. In a separate large bowl, mix the egg and buttermilk. Mix together both mixtures.
2. Slice the apples into rounds. Cut out the center core using a cookie cutter or knive.
3. Add 3 inches of oil to a large heavy-bottomed pot set over medium heat. Line a sheet tray with paper towels. When the oil is hot begin by dipping each apple slice in the batter, shaking off any excess then carefully lowering it into the oil. Add several apple slices to the oil but do not overcrowd the pot. Flip the apple slices occasionally so that they brown on all sides then put them onto the paper towel-lined baking sheet. Repeat the battering and frying process with the remaining apple rings.
4. Serve the apple rings immediately with caramel sauce for dipping.
1. Fashion News: Burberry have unveiled their 2015 ‘From London With Love’ Christmas campaign, starring Victoria and David Beckham’s son Romeo Beckham. The little one takes the lead role as the gift deliverer, supported by a group of dancers in trench coats – what else – and umbrellas. The soundtrack ‘The Way That I Live’ was recorded by the up-and-coming British musician Ed Harcourt. Very beautiful, artistic and Christmassy! Watch the festive film on the Burberry website.
2. New App: As part of Miu Miu’s women’s tales series, writer and artist Miranda July, in cooperation with Miu Miu, launched an app, called ‘somebody’. ‘Somebody’ offers a new and fun way to communicate: When you send your friend a message through the app, it doesn’t go to your friend, but to the somebody-user nearest your friend. This person, likely a stranger, delivers the message verbally. Just dare to use it, it’s a really fun public art project and available for free in the iTunes store! More on ‘somebody’.
3. Travel News: London’s famous Tower Bridge is celebrating its 120th birthday with a glass walkway, 138 feet above ground, with an somehow amazing and scary view on the river Thames. If you happen to be in London and are not afraid of heights make sure to pay a visit. Scaredy cats can see the pictures here.
4. Fun Fact: I have to admit, I do not totally get the point of Twitter. But it go a lot more fun when I stumbled upon the account of Bridger Winegar. He’s simply hilarious. His tweets are kind of senseless on one hand, on the other I keep thinking, he’s just so right. One of his Twitter gems: ‘If approached by a bear, you can play dead, or you can acknowledge the bear, say hello, and see what it needs. Have some decency.’
5. Podcast News: I’m totally hooked on the podcast Serial. Serial spawned as a proof-of-concept from the creators of This American Life and tells a single story over the course of a season. In this season the show re-investigates a closed murder case from 1999 revealing new and unbelievable facts, but the way of storytelling is the real art. If you haven’t given it a shot, do yourself a favor and do it now on the Serial website.
6. Fashion News: ‘We’re a digital brand and we wanted to do something fun, innovative and shareable with our fans’, so said and done by ASOS in their new video project ‘Colour Control’. Fashion, music and e-commerce congeal in the interactive video for which the British fashion e-tailer partnered with Vice. While the band ‘Juce’ plays its new single ‘The Heat’ on loop, various models dance in five different segments organised by color. At the end of each segment, viewers can click a link leading to Asos’ website, where clothes corresponding with the respective shade are available for purchase.
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012